Midway adviser named National Journalism Teacher of the Year

Olin Nafziger
U-High Midway adviser and journalism teacher Logan Aimone laughs during a conversation with students in Advanced Journalism while holding a Midway. Mr. Aimone was named the 2024 National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. 

U-High Midway adviser and journalism teacher Logan Aimone was named the 2024 National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year on Feb. 16 by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. 

“It’s really a big honor to receive this and I’m really humbled by the recognition,” Mr. Aimone said, “It is wonderful to be recognized for my work and for something I am very passionate about.” 

According to the CPSA, the award celebrates an educator who “teaches innovative media techniques, mentors students to produce award-winning journalists and encourages students to consider media careers.”

Mr. Aimone has been working at U-High since 2015 and previously taught journalism for 10 years at Wenatchee High School in Wenatchee, Washington. He teaches Beginning Journalism and Advanced Journalism. Along with teaching, Mr. Aimone has co-written two textbooks about teaching high school journalism. 

Mr. Aimone said the award recognizes his personal accomplishments and his ability to support students.

“Their success is my success,” he said, referring to students.  

Mr. Aimone said it also felt good to be recognized for his work outside of the Midway such as participating in workshops and conventions and advocating for student-produced journalism at the Student Press Law Center

The winner receives a plaque among other gifts and an opportunity to be interviewed by the previous year’s winner at the CPSA Annual Spring Convention.

View Comments (2)