Allow students one lab period during co-curricular weeks

Reporter+Caroline+Skelly+argues+that+during+any+week%2C+regardless+of+whether+it+is+co-curricular%2C+at+least+one+lab+period+should+be+guaranteed+free+and+available+for+students.++
Reporter Caroline Skelly argues that during any week, regardless of whether it is co-curricular, at least one lab period should be guaranteed free and available for students.

During lab periods, U-High’s library and lounges fill with students trying to get homework and studying done, and during co-curricular weeks these free periods disappear, while the homework load remains unchanged.

During any week, regardless of whether it is co-curricular, at least one lab period should be guaranteed free and available for students.  

While co-curricular weeks allow for counselor programming and assemblies, at least one free lab period would allow students to complete assignments during the school day.

A Stanford researcher found that students struggle to find a balance between homework, social life and extracurriculars and end up having to prioritize school, at the expense of their afternoon schedules. 

This would also ensure that less work is pushed to that night, so students with afterschool commitments wouldn’t have to worry as much about looming homework. As classes ramp up throughout the year, it is even more important that students are guaranteed at least one free period per week. With this implemented, students can effectively get their work done while also making time for other essential activities, such as friends and sports.