Volleyball team defeats boys soccer in annual charity volleyball match

Eli Raikhel
The varsity volleyball team defeated the boys varsity soccer team 21-8 on Feb. 26 in a charity game, with proceeds benefiting the Side-Out Foundation, a group in support of breast cancer patients.

The volleyball team asked Student Council for support to host an event similar to one that occurred last year.

“The volleyball team first approached us and were interested in doing this match with the soccer team,” president Zoe Nathwani said, “and since people really, really enjoyed the event last year, we decided to do it again this year.”

Student Council supported the team in the planning and fundraising process.

“Our role was mainly to help just get this space organized, like both the gym, get the charity aspect of it sorted out, and then organize advertising,” Zoe said. 

The fund was raised through selling concessions during the game.

“The fundraising has traditionally been through selling food and snacks at the games for those who attend,” volleyball co-captain Santana Romero said.

She appreciated the Student Council for the support in fundraising.

“Although it’s nice to prove our skill as a team, the real point of the game is for everyone to have fun and raise money for a good cause,” Santana said. 

The funds raised, however, weren’t as much as they expected, and Zoe said the Student Council will plan further ahead for the next event.

“I know it wasn’t a ton,” she said. “And so that’s part of where I say it, especially for next year that going forward, we really want to make it more organized and more ahead of time, so that people are aware of what exactly the charity aspect is.”

The teams still enjoyed the match in the sense that they got to see each other again after the season.

“Playing the boys team during these games is always uniquely exciting because it’s a lot more chaotic and entertaining which is fun for both teams I think,” Santana said. “We were definitely happy to play altogether as a team. Most of us haven’t played since the fall season ended and for us seniors it was a nice way to play with the team one last time.”