From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

UChicago events to honor living legacy of Ida B. Wells

Midway Staff
On March 28, from 5-8 p.m., the University of Chicago is celebrating the The Living Legacy of Ida B. Wells in the Logan Center Performance Hall.

The University of Chicago is celebrating the The Living Legacy of Ida B. Wells on March 28 from 5-8 p.m. in the Logan Center Performance Hall, where there will be speeches, discussions and a performance. 

Refreshments will be offered from 5-5:40 p.m., and the event will start with a keynote address by Dan Duster, Ida B. Wells’ great-grandson and motivational speaker. 

This will be followed by a discussion with Professor Paula J. Giddings, Elizabeth A. Woodson Professor Emerita of Africana Studies at Smith College, and Professor Adam Green, associate professor in the Departments of Race, Diaspora and Indigeneity and History at the University of Chicago. 

Next will be a panel discussion moderated by Natalie Moore, WBEZ journalist, author and playwright, with Anwuli Anigbo, development director at the Invisible Institute; Morgan Elise Johnson, co-founder and publisher at The TRiiBE; and Aislinn Pulley, executive director of Chicago Torture Justice Center. 

To close the event, poet Jamila Woods will perform. 

Anyone interested in learning more about the civil rights leader Ida B. Wells should register prior to the event. 

The Chicago Forum for Free Inquiry and Expression, the Center for the Study of Race, Politics & Culture, and The Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, in partnership with WTTW, are co-presenting this event. Additionally, on March 21, a week before this event, there was a documentary screening of WTTW Chicago Stories specials, a documentary about Wells and her legacy, along with a Q&A with the producer and writer, Stacy Robinson. Those who were unable to attend the screening can still watch the documentary on their own.