Midway will be taking a break over the summer
After reminiscing with fond memories, Class of 2024 graduates in Rockefeller Chapel

Summer protective gear need rises as summer nears

Alex Diamond
SUN SAFETY. A student explores the different summer sun protective gears available at REI. The demand for these summer gears has increased as concerns over excessive sunlight exposure continue to grow.

The case of sunglasses glints in the faint light. Aisles of green, blue and gray shirts are in front of it, and large multicolored hats hang on racks. These are some of the items on display at REI, 905 W. Eastman St. in Lincoln Park, and each of these items is advertised to help protect from the sun.

With summer fast approaching, it’s time for everyone to find some gear to protect from the sun.

The harmful effects from sun exposure include sunburn, wrinkles, dark spots on the skin, skin cancer and melanoma in the eyes. 

REI sells standard hats and sunglasses as well as shirts with extra protection from the sun’s rays. This includes their “Sahara Shade Hoodies” marketed toward hikers, which is labeled as UPF 50. UPF, which stands for ultraviolet protection factor, describes how much protection certain clothes and fabrics can give from ultraviolet rays. UPF ratings represent protection against UVA and UVB light, which have different effects on the skin.

Dermatologist Amy Brodsky thinks it’s important that teenagers protect themselves properly from the sun. One of the reasons she began researching the effects of the sun was because of concern for her own children.

“80% of the sun damage you get before you’re age 18 shows up later in life,” Dr. Brodsky said.

Junior Lee Rupple plays golf outside during the summer months. To protect himself from the sun he often uses hats, such as a golf hat.

Dr. Brodksy thinks, among other things, that some types of UPF clothing are effective and warns against tanning. She thinks people should pay more attention to sun damage.

Dr. Brodsky said, “I don’t think people realize how bad the sun can be for you, not just for your skin.”