Administrators: You must walk the talk

We want a principal who is open to working with the student body to effect change

Back to Article
Back to Article

Administrators: You must walk the talk

Risa Cohen

Risa Cohen

Risa Cohen

After the unexpected termination of science teacher Daniel Bobo-Jones Jan. 8, some students are coping with disorganized classes and the loss of a teacher, while others grieve a trusted, guiding figure.

But their concerns reflect a deeper distrust in the relationship between U-High’s administration and its students. Even though some information must be kept private, professionalism and sensitivity are not mutually exclusive.

The way Mr. Bobo-Jones was fired demonstrated a disregard toward true community by the administrators involved in this decision. That fact that these administrators would leave his classes teacherless and confused for days seems like a regrettable invalidation of his 14 years of hard work at U-High. His abrupt firing also created avoidable, harmful speculation.

It is essential that the administration consider the implications of the way they handle charged situations, especially when the resulting dialogue is damaging to respected contributors to our community. Students who saw Mr. Bobo-Jones as a supportive mentor felt abandoned. This should disturb the same leaders who created the student wellness survey, which revealed how few students at Lab feel they have a reliable, trusted adult.

Students and faculty need to be able to trust the administration — especially when they have been misinformed and may feel lost and kept in the dark. For years, some Lab community members have felt a strained, adverse relationship with the leaders of our school. With little transparency or understanding of what administrators do, we often see minimal follow-through and an unwillingness to connect meaningfully with students.

With a high turnover rate for director and principal positions, faculty and students alike may struggle to find common ground with their leaders. We are not voiceless, though. No matter how disconnected we may feel from our administration, our wellness and success is fundamentally connected to theirs.

Students must engage as we begin the search for a new principal. As individuals with shared interests, we must consider how to fortify what we have built. We need a principal that is caring and approachable, yet effective and attentive during times of change. We need an administration that can actively work together to foster close relationships with students and faculty. Above all, we need an administration for whom “community” is a clear plan, not a vague dream.

1 Comment

One Response to “Administrators: You must walk the talk”

1. Nicole Herweck on January 24th, 2019 10:54 pm

A beautifully written commentary. A tribute to what so many of your teachers have guided you towards. YOU, students, who stand up and speak out, and validate what is wrong and right at LAB, you amaze me. Thank you so much for fighting the fight.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Administrators: You must walk the talk

Opinion

Colleges need to pay athletes for their commitment

Opinion

To prevent tragedy, add mental health education

Opinion

Social media acts as an echo chamber for your opinions

Opinion

With adults failing, teens must step up to save their future

Opinion

Disciplinary dealings need student voice

Opinion

At other private schools, a free student press should be the norm

Opinion

Other students’ success doesn’t make you a failure

Opinion

Focus on your passions. Aim for joy, not perfection.

Opinion

Asian Students’ Association: What Dr. King’s dream means to Asian-Americans

Opinion

We need to commit to a healthier environment

Administrators: You must walk the talk