Artsfest will host ‘Cha Cha Slide’ creator

Otto Brown, Midway Reporter

Artsfest, a time-honored student-led tradition at U-High, will take place on Feb. 28 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. In lieu of classes, students will attend two all-school assemblies and four workshops centered around the arts. 

Brian Wildeman

Due to the increase in the U-High student population, more workshops will be offered this year, including more new and guest workshops, in addition to those led by students and faculty.

Students will sign up for workshops in advance. Descriptions of Artsfest workshops are now available on the the ArtsFest website  at artsfest.ucls.uchicago.edu.

DJ Casper, a Chicago native and creator of the “Cha Cha Slide,” will perform at the opening ceremonies, according to Artsfest board member Sofia Kouri. The keynote speaker at the  closing ceremony will be Anthony Khan, known professionally as Twilite Tone. Khan has worked with performers such as Common, John Legend and Kendrick Lamar.

The Hunt, a scavenger hunt associated with Artsfest, will follow a similar structure as last year, with the winning team of up to five students winning four tickets to this summer’s Pitchfork Music Festival.

Art in the Dark, an art-and music-themed event, will be Feb. 27, the evening before Artsfest, from 6-9 p.m. Activities will include student performances, tye-dying T-shirts and painting a mural in the senior lounge.

Artsfest adviser Brian Wildeman is excited about this year’s event.

“I’m looking forward to the opening and closing ceremonies,” Mr. Wildeman, an art teacher, said. “I really hope that Artsfest makes people happy and boosts their morale,” Mr. Wildeman continued. “This is a really good chance for students to have a good time with one another while engaging in the arts while shaking off the February blues.”