Lab admissions process experiences changes

Abigail Slimmon, Editor-in-Chief

The admissions process for the next school year has begun, but it will look a little different than in previous years. This year, only students who have already been accepted will have the opportunity to shadow and spend a full day at Lab.

Admissions staff made this change to take the burden off current students.

Irene Reed

“Each year, our student volunteers host a number of students and we want to be sensitive to the number of times a Lab student is asked to host, especially when there will be limited seats available in the rising ninth grade class,”  Irene Reed, executive director of admissions and financial aid, said.

According to Ms. Reed, the school’s expansion initiative is over, so U-High doesn’t have nearly as many open spots to offer as it did just a couple of years ago.

“The admissions office has added more opportunities to tour, and all admitted students will have an opportunity to shadow before they have to decide to accept our offer of enrollment,” Ms. Reed said.

The admissions office added five tour dates for prospective students and their families. The tours are held during school days, so applicants can still get a feel for what it is really like to be a student at Lab.

Otherwise, the admission process will remain the same. All applicants will still get the chance to interview with a faculty member.

According to Ms. Reed, around 600 people attended an open house for prospective students and their families Oct. 26.