Applications open for SummerLink internships

Midway Staff

U-High sophomores and juniors will work among fellow high school and college students for 37.5 hours a week to research areas of interest in the computer science field.

Meena Lee, Reporter

Applications for 2020 Summer Link programs in business, humanities, social sciences and science are now available for rising U-High juniors and seniors. Science programs are for rising seniors only.

Applications for the business, humanities and social sciences program can be found on the 2021 and 2022 Schoology pages. An informational meeting will be held at lunch on Jan. 14, and applications close Feb. 13.

Application for the science program are online. An informational meeting will be held in early January with a Jan. 31 application deadline.

The Summer Link program is an internship program that pairs students with a particular employer for a 6-7 week paid internship over the summer. The internships can range from working with a University of Chicago professor or researching in a lab, nonprofit and arts organizations or businesses.

Librarian Susan Augustine and history teacher Christopher Janus coordinate the business, humanities and social sciences program. Science teacher Sharon Housinger coordinates the science research program.

Weekly seminars allow students to share their experiences, listen to guest speakers or go on field trips.

“A first internship is typically learning a lot about just what it’s like to be in a workplace,” Ms. Augustine said. “It’s an opportunity for them to learn some professional skills, and also to get exposure to what some work environments are like.”