The right riff: Kara Tao sets big goals for her future in piano

Video provided by Kara Tao

Madeline Welch, Opinion Editor

Ever since Kara Tao started playing the piano, she has been determined to play under the bright lights of the iconic Carnegie Hall stage in New York. After winning third place in the American Protégé International Piano and Strings Competition this year, she finally got her chance to perform in the historic setting, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, her performance has been postponed until December.

Kara, a sophomore who has played the piano for eight years, has been competing in Illinois piano competitions for almost two years, but the American Protégé International Piano and Strings Competition was her first international competition. The competition, which is designed for promising young musicians, received submissions from 59 different countries worldwide. 

“I felt that I had worked really hard on the pieces that I was playing. I would spend hours a day refining the piece I was going to submit,” Kara said. “So, when I found out about this competition, I thought that maybe people would recognize the work that I’ve done to make the piece as good as possible.” 

Kara mentioned that she has no preference when the performance occurs, as long as she can play on the iconic stage in New York. 

“When I received the invitation to play at Carnegie Hall, I was very, very happy that all this work has amounted to something,” Kara said.

For Kara, playing the piano is a creative outlet and a way to express herself. While she is unsure of her future in piano, Kara wants to pursue playing as long as possible. She has even considered a professional career path as a pianist. 

Photo provided by Kara Tao
FAST FINGERS. Sophomore Kara Tao practices her upright piano at home. In the past few weeks while following the shelter-in-place order, Kara has had ample time to practice and has been continuing her lessons online.

“It’s definitely a challenge to learn new repertoire and express yourself well through playing, but I think overall it’s a very fulfilling activity for me,” Kara said.

In the past few weeks while following the shelter-in-place order, Kara has had ample time to practice and has been continuing her lessons online.

“Even in these times of quarantine, I’ve had so much time to play the piano and use it as an outlet to express myself,” Kara said.

Kara emphasized that she hopes others can fill the free time they have now, during social distancing, to find an artistic hobby. 

“The arts in general are something that is so important and so fulfilling,” Kara said, “You need to find a place to express your passions, and piano is my outlet. I encourage everyone to find some sort of creative outlet during this time.”