Nursery, primary school principal leaves Lab

Daniel Ryan was replaced by Assistant Director of Schools Carla Ellis who will serve as interim N-2 principal.

Téa Tamburo, Reporter

Nursery and Primary School Principal Daniel Ryan has left the Laboratory Schools, and Assistant Director of Schools Carla Ellis will serve as interim N-2 principal. Sarah Abella, dean of students, will be the building administrator at Earl Shapiro Hall and N-2 assistant principal. 

Ann Marie Baumann and Becky Chmielewski, associate directors of family life programs, have been reassigned to work with Dr. Ellis and Ms. Abella, along with Liesje Spaepen, dean of teaching and learning. 

Dr. Ryan had been in his role since July 2019 and left to focus his attention on a difficult personal situation, according to Interim Director of Schools David Magill, who asked Dr. Ellis to take this position in late August. 

Whenever I’m making decisions as an assistant director, I’m thinking about children. I’m thinking about teachers and families, so this is an opportunity to be in that space.”

— Carla Ellis

“Carla Ellis is a former kindergarten teacher, principal and all-around strong educator,” Dr. Magill said. “She was an easy choice.”  

Dr. Ellis said although she  has worked closely with administration as assistant director, her  role lacked direct interaction with students and classroom learning, something she will have plenty of as interim N-2 principal. 

“This is an opportunity to get closer to where the action is, where the teaching and learning happens, why we’re all here,” Dr. Ellis said. “Whenever I’m making decisions as an assistant director, I’m thinking about children. I’m thinking about teachers and families, so this is an opportunity to be in that space.”