Exchange trips canceled for the second year

In-person+exchange+trips+will+be+canceled+due+to+the+COVID-19+pandemic+and+its+safety+restrictions+for+the+2021-2022+school+year.+

Henry Benton

In-person exchange trips will be canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its safety restrictions for the 2021-2022 school year.

Téa Tamburo, Deputy Managing Editor

Last year, during the COVID-19 pandemic, world language classes utilized Zoom to facilitate their annual exchange trips. This year will be no different.

For the second consecutive year, in-person exchange trips will be canceled due to the pandemic and its safety restrictions. As a substitute, the world languages department is attempting to coordinate more virtual exchanges. 

Prior to the pandemic, students enrolled in world language classes could partake in an exchange trip to a region where their studied language is spoken: Spain, Costa Rica, Argentina, France, Germany and China. Each trip involves partnering with a school in the country.

According to Dinah D’Antoni, Spanish teacher and department chair, COVID-19 safety and travel guidelines make these in-person trips impossible.

“There are so many parts involved,” she said. “Most of the things that we visit are closed, because some of them still have restrictions.” 

Besides closed borders, Dr. D’Antoni mentioned the differing comfort levels of households hosting exchange students and the inconvenience of quarantine. 

“Another thing is how families feel about having students in their home. Some of them feel uncomfortable having guests home that will be going places and visiting,” Dr. D’Antoni said. “Also some countries, regardless of your vaccination, you have to quarantine. That is a big chunk of the trip, and we would then have to spend 15 days in a hotel.”

Despite the inability to partake in traveling exchange trips, the World Language Department is in the process of trying to coordinate virtual exchanges. 

We would love to keep working with those relationships with the schools.

— Dinah D'Antoni

“We would love to keep working with those relationships with the schools. That’s why last year we created some digital exchanges which was a way of reaching out and still being connected with those schools and students,” Dr. D’Antoni said. “We are reaching out to schools right now.” 

Junior Graham Robbins participated in last year’s virtual exchange for Spanish 4A with students at Institución Educativa Sagrados Corazones, located in Florencia, Colombia. 

“It was definitely an experience that put Lab into perspective to other schools that were all going through the same thing that we were,” Graham said, referring to the pandemic and social justice movements.

Graham also emphasized how the exchange, while virtual, was still a beneficial opportunity to connect with students internationally.

“I think any experience to get the opportunity to connect with other students around the world and, like, broaden your perspective in language classes, is always a great opportunity to meet new people,” he said. “Like, even though everyone’s from a different place and you’re on Zoom, you don’t know how much you’ll be able to connect with other people until you really have the opportunity.”