From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

Clubs founded to encourage racquet sports

Peyton Palmer
A student swings a racket in Badminton Club, meeting weekly Wednesday in Upper Kovler Gymnasium at lunch.

U-High enthusiasts of racquet sports have started new clubs for badminton and ping pong to engage in physical activity and have fun. 

Skye Freeman, co-president of the Badminton Club, said that while badminton is the second most popular sport in the world, the United States seems to be exempt from this demographic. 

U-High no longer has an official badminton team, so Skye hopes to gain and maintain a lot of interest through weekly Wednesday meetings in Upper Kovler Gymnasium at lunch.

Eventually the club plans to partner with the afterschool program. Because of its popularity, Skye said she would also like the club to become an official school sport again.

For a less active commitment, the Ping Pong Club meets Thursdays during lunch. President Eli Strahilevitz created this club because he enjoyed using the ping pong table in Francisco Saez’s science classroom and wanted to share the experience with his peers.

Eli, a senior, encourages players of all skill levels to participate.

He said, the best way for a person to improve their skills is “to play people that are at your level and get competitive and try to beat them.”