From underdogs to winners: debate duo’s synergy leads to success
Tao, Carter to lead 2024-25 Student Council

Student clubs collaborate to host food drive

Kaden Moubayed
Fitness Club leader Carter Chang addresses the crowd of lower school students at a Dec. 6 joint assembly with the Kids Allergy Network. The assembly was held to spread awareness of food insecurity and their efforts to combat it.

To support people struggling with food insecurity, two clubs are hosting a food drive through Dec. 15. 

The Kids Allergy Network Club and the Fitness Club are collecting labeled, nonperishable foods, preferably nutritious foods like brown rice, honey and canned fruits and vegetables. Donations can be dropped off in collection boxes in the entrances to Earl Shapiro Hall and the lower, middle and high schools. Items will be taken to a Hyde Park location of The Love Fridge, a mutual-aid food pantry. 

On Dec. 6, the clubs’ leaders held an assembly with the lower school students to advertise the drive and elaborate on their passion to support food security.

Junior Ben O’Donnell, Kids Allergy Network Club president, is excited for the joint initiative.

“Our missions are both related to food in certain ways,” Ben said, “and we thought it’d be a great idea to do a collaborative food drive.”

Fitness Club president Carter Chang is also eager to work together to support those in need.

“This is a perfect opportunity to bridge both clubs together, and do something good for the community,” Carter, a senior, said.

Organizers hope the food drive will collect nutritious, allergy-free foods to promote healthy eating habits, an important goal of both clubs.

“Nutritious foods and allergy-friendly foods can be on the more expensive side, and harder to obtain,” Ben said. “We wanted to provide an outlet that would make it easier to gain access to that.”