Director of diversity, equity, inclusion leaves Lab

Midway staff

In her new role as a senior administrator, Ms. Rupani will collaborate closely with the Francis W. Parker principal, which is the equivalent of the director; oversee educational programming; and coordinate the work of DEI co-chairs, faculty and staff facilitators, and parent and alumni DEI committees. 

Anathea Carrigan, Assistant Editor

Priyanka Rupani, Laboratory Schools director of diversity, equity and inclusion, has been appointed the new assistant principal at the Francis W. Parker School and will be leaving at the end of this school year, according to an email sent to faculty and staff Feb. 18 from Interim Director David Magill.

Ms. Rupani has been in her current role at Lab since fall 2018. She is a 2006 U-High alumna.

“She and other faculty members were largely responsible for developing the DEI plan, which is now in its first year of implementation,” Dr. Magill wrote in an email to the Midway. “Additionally, she developed close relationships with students, faculty from all four of our divisions, and members of parent groups.”

Ms. Rupani has begun reaching out to students and parents with whom she has worked most closely to inform them of her departure. 

Although Ms. Rupani will be leaving, Lab remains committed to continuing the DEI work she has started.

“Lab will be posting her position and searching for an outstanding person to continue the DEI work,” Dr. Magill wrote. 

The new director of the Laboratory Schools will be involved in the selection process, the timeline for which has yet to be determined. 

Plans to hire an assistant director of diversity, equity and inclusion were approved in spring 2020. They were postponed due to a University of Chicago hiring freeze as a result of the budget impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The full email from Dr. Magill is below.

Dear Colleagues,

It is with mixed feelings that I announce that Priyanka Rupani will be leaving Lab at the end of this school year to become the Assistant Principal of the Francis W. Parker School in Chicago. This is a wonderful career advancement opportunity that will also incorporate Priyanka’s DEI expertise.

In partnership with our faculty, Lab’s first Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Plan was adopted under Priyanka’s leadership and her many contributions are reflected in our program. There is more to be accomplished during the balance of her time with us, and I’m certain that she will be pushing us to continue to grow and be better in the months ahead.

Lab will conduct a search to fill this role in the future when Lab’s new director will be here and involved in the selection process. Please join me in congratulating Priyanka. As a loyal Lab alumna and colleague, she will be missed.