Awareness group to provide safe space for students with allergies

Grace LaBelle
During a club meeting, junior Theo Williams learns about the ingredients and potential allergens of caesar salad dressing.

A new club aims to provide support for kids with allergies and to spread allergy awareness in different communities. The Kids Allergy Network Club meets at lunch in C-013 and alternates between Thursday and Friday each week. 

The club is open to all members, and many leaders of club committees don’t have allergies themselves. 

“We want to help kids prevent allergic reactions and educate children in different communities on the mental health aspects that come with an allergy,” club president Ben O’Donnell, a junior, said.

Ben said the commitment level is low and members are expected to come a minimum of twice a month.

The club’s goals include organizing food drives and mukbangs, making posters, sharing presentations, hosting guest speakers, and educating kids to build confidence with their allergies. 

The leaders would also like to expand their goals by highlighting the experiences of kids with unique allergies and by working with other clubs both within and outside of U-High.

“I realized how hard it is to deal with allergies,” Ben said. “I thought it would be nice to build a support group for other kids who are dealing with these allergies.”