Midway will be taking a break over the summer
After reminiscing with fond memories, Class of 2024 graduates in Rockefeller Chapel

From music to art, here’s 12 fun festivals for this summer

Spend+your+summer+exploring+the+city+of+Chicago+with+12+different+festival+recommendations.+
    Victoria Washington
    Spend your summer exploring the city of Chicago with 12 different festival recommendations.

Music: 

Not only does Chicago have beautiful summers, it is also relevant to many top musicians and performers, making it the perfect place to enjoy a music festival. While one of the most well-known music festivals in Chicago is Lollapalooza, here are three music festivals from different genres.

• Summer Smash, June 14-16. A hip-hop music festival held in SeatGeek Stadium in suburban Bridgeview, Summer Smash has three stages and over 50 performers. Popular artists scheduled as headliners include Playboi Carti, Chief Keef and Travis Scott.
    • Pitchfork Music Festival, July 19-21. Pitchfork, a beloved Chicago music festival since 2006, is held in Union Park on the near West Side. Pitchfork has music from all over the world, famous Chicago restaurants and additional featured fairs, such as craft fair and a kid zone.
    • Chicago Jazz Festival, Aug. 29 to Sept. 1. Saxophones, trombones and drums blend in unison at the Chicago Jazz Festival in Millennium Park. Admissions are free, and food and refreshments are available for purchase.

— Naomi Benton

Food: ­

Chicago has a wide range of annual summer food festivals, from pop-up stands to farmers markets to countless food booths. Whether you’re craving international cuisine, traditional barbecue, or a sweet dessert, the city brings something for everyone to enjoy.

• Windy City Hot Dog Fest, June 1-2. This year’s Windy City Hot Dog Fest will take place in Portage Park at 4000 N. Milwaukee Ave. Besides plenty of hot dogs from around the city, there will be a kids’ area, arts & crafts vendors and a community stage.
    • Tacos y Tamales Festival, July 19-21. The Tacos y Tamales Festival offers authentic Latin cuisine, art and entertainment from various Latin American countries. The festival takes place at the intersection of 16th and Peoria in the Pilsen neighborhood.
    • Chinatown Summer Fair, July 27-28. The annual Chinatown Summer Fair showcases Chinese culture, including artisans, authentic cuisine, family activities, and a Dragon & Lion Dance. It’s happening in the center of Chinatown near 2200 S. Wentworth Ave.

— David Li and Mira Reddy

Identity:

One of the most diverse cities in the country, Chicago is home to countless identity-oriented festivals. While it
    would be impossible to cover them all, here are three festivals to watch out for this summer, featuring food, performances and some classic fair activities.

• Andersonville Midsommarfest, June 7-9. One of the opening festivals of the summer, Andersonville’s Midsommarfest celebrates Swedish heritage with a maypole, diverse foods and lively activities, standing out as one of the city’s oldest and iconic street festivals.
    • Pride Parade, June 30. For more than 50 years Chicago’s Pride Parade has been one of the biggest LGBTQ+ celebrations. This year, 150 groups will march a shortened route through the Northalsted neighborhood along Halsted Street, Belmont Avenue and Broadway to Diversey Parkway and east to Lincoln Park, under the theme Pride is Power.
    • Taste of Greektown, Aug. 23-25. West Loop’s Taste of Greektown is known to “blend Old World traditions with modern flair.” With cultural dances, live entertainment and fantastic food, it makes for a perfect summer finale.

— Ari Novak and Lila Coyne

Art:

Bringing together arts lovers of all ages, Chicago’s art festivals and fairs are a defining part of the city’s summer culture. In neighborhoods from the far North Side to the South Side, thousands of attendees can enjoy unique art and music.

• 57th Street Art Festival, June 1-2. Located in Lab’s Hyde Park neighborhood, the 57th Street Art Fair is a small, free art fair with many different artists and booths, as well as food trucks. The fair was established in 1948, and has since expanded to include paintings, metalworks, and jewelry.
    • Old Town Art Fair, June 8-9. The Old Town Arts Fair is packed with attendees every year, including over 200 nationally acclaimed artists with a variety of different media such as drawing and painting, jewelry, ceramics and more, complete with live music and a food court.
    • Millennium Park Art Festival, June 27-30. The Millennium Park festival is a definite summer highlight, hosting over 110 artists, as well as live music and interactive art booths on South Michigan Avenue. Admission is free for all age

— Sinziana Lazar and Dina Letko