Midway will be taking a break over the summer
After reminiscing with fond memories, Class of 2024 graduates in Rockefeller Chapel

Vox Pop: Lollapalooza or Summer Smash

Students+were+asked+whether+they+prefer+Lollapalooza+or+Summer+Smash%2C+why+and+what+were+their+memorable+experiences+at+either+one.+++
    Midway Staff
    Students were asked whether they prefer Lollapalooza or Summer Smash, why and what were their memorable experiences at either one.

“I went to Lolla last year, and I’m going again this year, but I saw Kendrick and I was kinda, like, up front, towards the stage with a lot of people, and it was fun.”

— Frankie Bishop, sophomore

“I went to Lolla. My favorite performance was J. Cole because he was really engaging with the crowd.”

— Carter Elligan, ninth grader

“I went to Summer Smash and my favorite part was being in the mosh with my friends listening to all my favorite music. … The craziest mosh was Playboi Carti, but G Herbo —  I thought I was gonna die, you cannot control your body.” 

— Grover Henderson, sophomore

“One of my favorite summer festivals was Pitchfork. I think I went in 2018. … It was my first musical festival. I was young. I didn’t really know all the musicians, but just being there, like, it was hot, a good experience. You could definitely feel the music community.” 

— Lydia Gilbert, sophomore

“(At Lollapalooza) Billie Eilish was an amazing performer, who had cool outfits and it was overall life changing.” 

— Orly Eggener, Junior

“I saw Dua Lipa at Lolla in 2022, and it was really cool because I was really close to the barricade, so I was really close to the actual performance, and the live music is just really cool.”

— Taylor Landry, Junior 

“I went to Summer Smash and on the first day, Kid Cudi was the headliner and was by far like the best performance, but we were so close that you could hear like the speakers, like in the vibrations of the music, and it was so amazing. The best experience of my life.”

— Annabelle McCormick, sophomore

“Two years ago I went to Summer Smash, it was quite fun. We got to see Yeat perform, which was interesting but he got shut down, and we ate tacos.”

— Sam Oyler, sophomore

“My favorite was Lollapalooza and specifically Kendrick Lamar’s performance. It was just really fun. It was a really fun environment, and he was a really good performer. It was, like, crazy.”

— Kate Jablonski, junior

“Kendrick was cool, there were a lot of people and good music, it was just like a good vibe like a lot of people where dancing and the lights flashed”

— Charlie Henger, senior